Ok, I fall for it everytime. Put me in a room with any mediocre sales guy, or gal in this case, and I'm signing the dotted line in no time. Today I had a skin check appointment at Westlake Dermatology, a very chic, high-end doctor's office, one that strategically places their checkout counter across from their very chic, high-end makeup. It's all right there to look, touch, and sample -- and sample I did. Of course I had to open my mouth and ask a question. That was my big mistake.
Within moments, one of the perfectly coiffed gals walked from behind the counter and morphed into an "expert" makeup consultant, offering her advice and a free demonstration. How could I say no? She proceded to apply Cleopatra-style eyeliner with refined precision. I didn't love the makeup, but her tips were brilliant (you need to to dab on the liner, not paint it -- and it needs to edge right up to and slightly overlapping the lash). How could I acknowledge my gratitude. You guessed it.
Within minutes I was at the counter pulling out a charge card for a $38 eyeliner and brush. As they placed the overpriced prizes into a shiny Westlake Dermatology bag I overheard another transaction. I watched a woman count out $800 in cash, then make the same appointment for next month. Yikes! I needed to get out, and fast.
In summary... great doctors, beautiful people, though clearly botoxed, plucked, polished, and exfoliated. Do as I say, not as I do -- walk right past the makeup and miracle creams. I got out sans $38. You may not be so lucky.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
There's a Sucker Born Every Day, Westlake Dermatology
Labels:
austin,
beauty,
dermatology,
makeup,
service,
westlake dermatology
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My advice - leave the credit card AND the cash AND the checkbook at home next time. Just apologize for not forgetting your wallet and have them bill.
ReplyDelete